Volkspark Friedrichshain

Bunker, Ball, and Beer

All images are author's unless otherwise noted

Laid out in the 19th Century by Gustav Meyer as a place for rest and recovery for the nearby residents, Volkspark Friedrichshain is a 121-acre park with countless walking paths, beach volleyball courts, table tennis spots, an actual rock climbing rock, beer gardens, fountains, and two bunkers left from the second war, one 78 meters and the other 48 meters, both offering views over the park and city. It was here in the larger of the bunkers that priceless stolen works were kept by the Nazis and tragically burned at the end of the war. An additional attraction of the park is the Märchenbrunnen or Fairy Tale Well built in 1913 by Ludwig Hoffman and featuring figures from the Grimm Brothers’ fairy tales. Today the expansive park offers something for everyone and seems to connect various peoples and city sections together through a natural expanse.