Remembering and restoring
All images are author's unless otherwise noted
Nearly 220 acres, Treptower Park was created in 1876 by Berlin's first City Garden Director Gustav Meyer. The park is characterized by its sudden and constant changes from open landscape to dense forest and offers areas for relaxing, exploring, and sport. After the second world war, a monument was erected here to honor fallen Soviet soldiers. At times offering beautiful walks along the river, other times delivering up delicious cafes, and certainly serving as a cornerstone of the Treptower neighborhood, the park is an important and integrated city element just as it is an expansive urban oasis. Treptower Park is a great place to get lost and an even better place to be convinced of the value for urban parks and their potential as sustainable cornerstones for modern cities.