Mellon Graduate Environmental Humanities Fellowship
Application Deadline: March 1, 2018
The Penn Program in Environmental Humanities (PPEH) at the University of Pennsylvania invites applications from advanced doctoral students in the School of Arts & Sciences for a one-year Mellon Graduate Environmental Humanities Fellowship. We seek applicants whose research, teaching, and public engagements support and complement PPEH’s core commitments:
- broadly interdisciplinary, collaborative research on the environment across the arts and sciences
- arts-driven inquiry into place, particularly our campus and the City of Philadelphia as well as urban ecology in other global contexts
- public engagement, particularly in and with environmental justice communities and concerns
- the creation and growth of living archives via practices of urgent collection
The Mellon Graduate Environmental Humanities Fellowship is a dissertation completion fellowship – applicants must be enrolled at the University of Pennsylvania and defend their dissertation during the 2018–2019 academic year to be eligible.
Beginning in Summer 2018, Graduate Fellows will receive 12 months of support covering tuition, fees, and summer research funds. The summer portion of the fellowship would enable students to practice public engagement with their work, such as curatorial training. Graduate Fellows will be expected to pursue their own research agendas as well as actively participate in PPEH’s signature projects, in Philadelphia and beyond.
- 1500-word Research Statement in which candidates describe how their dissertation project intersects with the Environmental Humanities and address how they foster collaboration across disciplines
- 500-word Statement about how their project might build wider public engagements in and through the Environmental Humanities
- Letter of recommendation from the Ph.D. advisor or graduate chair, which also confirms a dissertation completion timeline
- Application materials must be collated into a single PDF and emailed by March 1, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org.